Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Harken the masses

As Romeo, new King of the Brown Warriors, enters the Grand Hall, he is assailed by a great light, from the many photograhic bulbs bursting against the air. Lord Lerner takes his arms and leads him to the King's Table, where he will have audience with the presse.

King Crennel, Act I, Scene Five: The Grand Hall conference

Romeo (shielding his eyes as he crosses stage left): I declare, mine eyes have never bore witness to such a show!

Lord Lerner: To this you must grow accustomed. The light will follow you to the ends of the Earth. (pulls out a chair at the King's Table). Here, take rest.

Master John Collins enters the room stage right, and approaches Lord Lerner.

Master John: We must carry the reigns on these animals. They'll surely scare the new King off.

Lord Lerner: Ah, John, but this is my manor. At my hand, they shall obey and quiet. (turns to the presse and raises his hand) Your eyes and ears, sirs! Your eyes and ears! Seated at the Table now is our new King, or new Chieftain for our Brown Warriors. What sayeth you, in quest? For he knows much of winning!

Tonyus Grossius: Winning is admirable, but what of men? For if he cannot favour his men, he cannot favour wins.

Romeo: I can answer with a free mind; I promise no gold, that is much in the hands of Providence. But I can promise men that will fight and bear their arms and souls for this manor. I promise men that will draw their last breath for the honour of this house.

Terrius Pluto: What of the soldiers who make discord and trouble among the ranks? How are they to be dealt with?

Romeo: One offence will be half a day's wages and a pence more; two offences will be a whole days wages and extra labour. Three and more will be cases sent to the dungeon until as time I see fit to release.

Tonyus Grossius: He speaks with an iron tongue. But what will his speech be when the Steel Men of Pittsburgh ride their legions and chariots over the hills? They threaten this manor at least twice a year when the leaves turn.

Romeo: I hope for the health, talent, and blessings to fight those men. In my mind, I glorify the day when we ride back to Lord Lerner with the vanquished foes behind us. That day, with God's will, is ahead of us.

Terrius Pluto: Who was your Master in the New Land of England? For whom do you credit this sure attitude you exhibit?

Romeo: The legions in the House of Patriot are full of good, fearful men who love their tasks and carry them to completion. But I have but one man to credit for the King I am today...

Lord Lerner (standing in front of the King's Table): Romeo, King of the Armies, we must end this presently---

Romeo: .... I shall credit him to my dying day...

Master John: Romeo! Speak no further! You are not known to the ways of this house!

Romeo: His name is Grand Master Belichick.

Lord Lerner and Master John both back away, stunned.

All Members of the Assembled Presse: Belichick!

Tonyus Grossius: Belichick was one of the traitorous house of Modell, who destroyed our will 10 years from the next frost!

Terrius Pluto: And we have associated us a member of his army? This cannot be!

Romeo: I assure you I have loyalty to my bones for this house. Fear not my teachers!

Members of the Assembled Presse: He lies! He lies! Cast him to the doldrums! To the Arizona Cardinals with him!

CURTAIN.

In part three: Romeo must answer for his past. And a special visitor shows.



No comments: