Thursday, June 16, 2005

Tyson and teats

Kevin McBride, fresh off his six-round TKO of Mike Tyson Saturday night, told a British newspaper the following this week:

"Tyson is crazy. He bit my nipple. I didn't realize it at first but he had his teeth around it. I just felt a strange sensation and then realized what he'd done. He could not get up high enough to bite my ears — good job he wasn't a midget, otherwise he would have bitten something else."

Now, if I'm a boxing promoter, and my sport is viewed as barbaric in many circles, lags in mass-popularity and is largely a dinosaur of a sport whose glory days ended in the 1970s or earlier, I can take the previous quote one of two ways:

1) First ears, now nipples. That's disgusting. Mike Tyson is an animal. He must stay retired. His kind can't drag the reputation of our sport through the mud any more than it already has been.

2) Nipples. Nipples! He's biting nipples! Nipples, nipples, nipples! Quick, I'm thinking all-topless Tyson vs. Tonya Harding match in Atlantic City this fall!

What viewpoint wins? Well, what viewpoint can be sold on pay-per-view?

No comments: