Monday, May 16, 2005

C.C. rider

In response to Zach's Indians question:
Yes, the Indians are playing better than they were a couple of weeks ago. Coco Crisp, Ben Broussard and Grady Sizemore in particular seemed to be the most energized by this most recent road trip. But, even though they are 7-5 in their last 12, I am reserving judgment. Let's see them get above .500 and stay there first.
If I get too pumped about the Indians, games like Sunday cool me off in a hurry. The offense was facing Roy Halladay, so I am not too bothered they were essentially shut down. What bothers me is C.C. Sabathia's performance. It is largely the same thing that bothered me about Bartolo Colon when he was an Indian ( "largely" is not a segue into shots at Sabathia's or Colon's fat rolls).
My beef is that Sabathia cannot string three good outings in a row together, much like last season, much like when Colon would strike out the side in order in the first inning and give up five runs in the third. Again yesterday, knowing the caliber of the opposing pitcher, Sabathia let the Indians get into an early hole, and just when they might have scratched out the tying run in the ninth, Sabathia gave up a three-run homer to Vernon Wells in the eighth, putting the game out of reach.
Sabathia blinked. Aces aren't supposed to blink when facing another ace. Is that demanding of me? Yeah, but Sabathia keeps getting called an "ace." His percieved ace status got him an $18 million contract extension.
Maybe this is a potshot at Sabathia's weight. There is a school of though that says Sabathia and Colon have never been able to fully spread the wings of their talent because their bodies break down under the excess weight.
Sabathia's a workhorse like Colon, but I don't know if he'll ever rise above that into the rarefied air of acedom. If I could swap him straight up for Dontrelle Willis, I'd do it.

No comments: